You’ve probably heard by now: FRAGRANCE IS THE NEW SECOND HAND SMOKE. If you aren’t in the loop yet, it has become a norm that both private and public workplaces have implemented strict fragrance free policies.
Why? Is fragrance really that bad? I mean, it seems to be in EVERYTHING! From laundry detergent to sanitary pads, air fresheners, scented candles, household cleaners, and oh my! Did we mention personal care & beauty products?
Marinate in this shocking statistic for a minute: The average man uses 5 to 7 personal care products per day. The average woman uses 9 to 12, and the average teenage girl uses 17!
But before we list the top 6 reasons why fragrance is the new second hand smoke, we need to unapologetically brag,just a little…
Most - if not all - sunless tanners use perfumes or fragrances to mask their stinky, toxin filled formulations. You know that ever so familiar piña-colada/coconut scent? Yeah, well, there is a steep price to pay to smell like your favorite vacation cocktail.
Let’s lay down the facts. Number 5 will change your life!
1. Perfume ingredients are protected under the U.S. Fair Packaging and Label Act because they are considered trade secrets, and thus, do not need to be disclosed.
2. Even ‘natural’ fragrance such as essential oils are skin irritants (there are a few exceptions such as cardamom, German and Roman chamomile, and frankincense).
3. Today’s fragrances are 95 – 100% phthalates, or coal-tar derivatives, which are not sustainable and found to cause significant effects to the nervous system and immune systemthat include adult and child cancers, numerous neurological disorders, weakened immune system, autoimmunes, asthma, allergies, infertility, miscarriage, and child behavior disorders including learning disabilities, mental retardation, hyperactivity and ADD (attention deficit disorder).
4. Phthalates are known endocrine disruptors; studies reveal a 6 point drop in IQ for children when their mothers were exposed to phthalates during their pregnancy. If you are pregnant, you would do well to stay away from all products with fragrances, phthalates or endocrine disruptors to protect your baby.
5. Ingredients found in fragrances, including phthalates, are considered “Obesogens” which means they CAN cause you to gain weight independent of what you eat or the activity you get. (Yikes! We will talk more about this in our next Blog: Are Your Beauty Products Making You FAT?!?!).
6. Phthalates can cause sperm damage, hyperpigmenation, headaches, dizziness, rash, violent coughing, vomiting, and skin irritation.
Are you pickin’ up what I’m puttin’ down here? It takes some serious huevos for formulators to bare only their naked ingredients, unashamed of their true and natural scent. Here at CLEANTAN®USA, we have nothing to hide. We are leading the sunless tanning industry into a new era, revolutionizing clean beauty, and exceeding your well-deserved high expectations.
Until next time…Think Dirty. Tan Clean®.